When I told Aussie tonight that it would be bedtime in 20 minutes, he just smiled and nodded and asked for milk right then and there. That was his way of saying, "You know what, Mom? I'm tired and ready for bed right now, if that's alright."
So I was sitting on his bed and asked if he wanted a song tonight. He didn't, but was very ready to say his prayers. He opened his prayer and said, "Thanks for Mr. Bennett. Thanks for Mr. B. (that's short for Mr. Bennett--my dog) "Thanks for Pokemon on the computer. Jesus Christ, amen"
That boy still just makes me melt. I call him Sunshine a lot, and he really is my sunshine---my source of warmth and acceptance and shining inner light and unconditional love. It doesn't matter how difficult my day has been or how tired I am or how sick I am. It always makes me feel better to walk upstairs with Austin and tuck him into bed.
I wish everybody could have the chance to be the parent of a kid who has Down syndrome. They keep a person young, and they don't let us ever forget the joys to be found in simple things like blowing bubbles, singing songs, and playing tag.
Justin was sitting at the kitchen table tonight, laughing and grinning because of all the snow outside. How many nineteen year old boys do that? I can't believe he's going to be 20 in a few months! He has really grown up, but he still maintains that joyfulness of an unaffected child. Well, except for when we mess with his matchbox cars!
I just love my kids! They're awesome!!
5 comments:
They're awesome because they have an awesome mom who loves them just the way they are.
i like your kids too
and you
and myron
me too- all of what dave and denise said
Post a Comment