Sunday, April 27, 2008

Nicknames

First of all...thanks to Amy and Denise for your advice on posting pictures.



Secondly...Denise, you know darn well I'm not into theft. They are so my kids!! I realize that I only remember tiny Jonathon and can never recall all the names of your kids (so sorry), but I do expect you to always recognize my children, despite the fact that you've seen them very rarely and have not met them all.



And now, the reason I have come to Japanski's Room tonight....

...I work with a woman named Terri. I also have a sister Terri. Every time I work with Terri or see her at work (she works in two departments of our store, so I often see her when she is in floral and I am in the deli), I want to call her Terri-bo-berri. This is a nickname for sister Terri. Workplace Terri would not know where that was coming from, except possibly to assume that I was attempting to sing The Name Game (author unknown or I would credit said person herein---this disclaimer has been brought to you today by a huge fan of fictional attorney Eli Stone).

.....As I pondered on this thought while breading chicken at the deli today, I realized that I must just automatically want to grant nicknames to those I hang around with. I decided that it must stem from my childhood, when Dad had nicknames for all of the kids. Actually, I seem to recall nicknames for only the girls. It must be a daddy-daughter thing. Leanne was Monk, which I believe is a shortened version of an animal and not a religious title. I was Japanski or Fancy Pants, two nicknames which evolved from the fact that I used to wear pants that were covered with bright flowers, Brady Bunch style. Terri was Pear Bear, which I think came from Rick, and I recall that Terri-bo-berri was a nickname she didn't like at all. Funny, that's the name that acted as a catalyst for this particular blogisode. Amy, for some inexplicable reason, was Bum. I think Leanne was also Bum sometimes.

.....I have always loved my nickname. It made me feel unique and loved and special. So I am surprised when other folks don't respond to my nicknames with good favor. Terri's youngest (sister Terri, not workplace Terri), Lars, reminded me of Charlie Brown when he was quite little. I called him Charlie Brown for a time, until one day Lars responded to said handle by yelling, "I'm not Charlie Brown!! I'm Larsy!!!" Message received. No nickname for him. But I still do nicknames. Becca Boo. Lizabelle. Larry, whose real name is James. Sunshine. Buster.



So if you ever hear me refer to you in a creative way, please take it as a token of affection. That's what it is.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Fine. I'll admit they're your kids. But know that doing so causes me great psychological pain, as their ages force me to admit my own, and since I'm staring 4-0 in the face this year, I'm choosing to live in denial.

Sincerely,
Neece-a-roo

Amy said...

Hey, NANET. For the record, I wasn't always bum. Sometimes I was aminski.....just saying.

Erin L said...

Janet, I read this on my friend's blog today. Her oldest is autistic. I thought of you when I read it. Hope you enjoy it!

PS I want a Janet nickname