Friday, November 02, 2007

My 15 seconds of fame

Yeah, I know for some people, it's a whopping 15 MINUTES of fame, but hey, I'll settle for what I can get. And honestly, how much fame does the proceeding story actually give me claim to?

I was watching Good Morning Utah this morning while I ate my breakfast, when just after 5:30 (quit freaking out about the early hour and pay attention to the story), the hosts of the show said (in essence) this:

"email us at ---yadda yadda yadda--- with your favorite movie soundtrack. We'll be talking about this at the water cooler at 5:55!"

I quickly picked up the laptop, logged on, and wrote the following message:

"No contest. You've Got Mail has the best soundtrack of any non-musical movie in history."

At 5:55, true to their word, Erika Edberg and Mike McKay and Todd Gross were sitting at the couch discussing this topic, when Erika told the audience that "Janet had this to say..." and proceeded to read my email verbatim. Thank goodness I had kept it brief.

Oh, cool, I thought. They read mine. That was fun. They then proceeded to say that none of them could recall any of the music from the movie and Erika said that I should write again and clue them in.

I wrote a second time, and here is what I said :

"Perhaps my music tastes are a bit eclectic and off-beat for the GMU folks. Here is a taste of the delights on the You've Got Mail soundtrack:

1. The Puppy Song - Harry Nilsson -----This is the lead-in to the opening scene. It's the perfect mood-setter for the movie; perfectly simple and bouncy.

2. Splish Splash - Bobby Darin----- A definite classic!!

3. Lonely At The Top - Randy Newman ----- Another wonderful song, and come on, it's Randy Newman!!

4. Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder ----- I know you've all heard of this guy, if not this song.

5. Over The Rainbow - Harry Nilsson ----- One of the best renditions of this song EVER!!!

Now everybody think about it...it's good stuff, right? I'm right. You know I'm right.

Thanks,
Janet"


Reponse received:

"Janet.. you forgot Jimmy Durante’s “You Made Me Love You”… I love that soundtrack!



Thanks for writing in to GMU!

George Severson
Executive Producer
ABC 4 News - Salt Lake City
Good Things Utah "


Second response received:

"Janet,



Thanks for writing with more on this … you had us so intrigued we were actually doing some of our own internet searches to find out about the songs. You’re right – they have some good songs on there.



Thanks for taking the time to write us this morning – twice! And thanks for watching.

Take care,

Erika Edberg

ABC4’s Good Morning Utah"


Well, I feel somewhat delighted that my initial email was the catalyst for an internet search by the GMU cast. I feel somewhat pleased that a producer wrote back to my second email. And finally, I feel happy to know that Erika Edberg took the time to write back to me. How sweet is that?

That's my 15 seconds of fame. The actual happenings took much less time than it took me to write about it.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I'm happy to announce that I was not awake to see that on the air. And I must ask if you had just woken up or had not yet gone to bed?

Save those emails! They'll be something to show your grandchildren someday. "Yessir, you little whippersnappers, your old granny was really somethin' back in the day!"

I read your blog just before I headed off to change a diaper. And thanks to you, I sang "you made me love you" all the way up the stairs. "I didn't wanna do it, I didn't wanna do it..."

I don't remember the soundtrack to that movie at all. I have the DVD; maybe I'll watch it again today while I tackle another stack of laundry. There's always a stack waiting to be tackled.

Leviticus said...

Heh, I guess that you hadn't received the latter emails when you told my your story of fame originally. That's really awesome!

Erin L said...

very cool. I want to be famous like you someday

Unknown said...

Denise, I had been in bed, but had not slept. At that hour of the morning, if I'm awake, I haven't slept yet. I don't get up that early on a volunteer basis.

Dave L said...

That's a cool story.

Do you have major insomnia problems usually?