Thursday, March 04, 2010

Sammies

what
what
I have picked up the habit of referring to sandwiches as "sammies".  I got this from Rachael Ray, whose cooking show on The Food Network I love.  I have always felt somewhat stilted when properly pronouncing the word "sandwich".  The stiff feel of a too-polished, too-proper Frasier-type alights on my shoulders at the precise moment that I utter the "d" in the middle of the word and hovers around me for minutes afterward.  I feel like an uneducated hick when I say "samwich", though I feel more comfortable when using this backwoods pronunciation than its highbrow counterpart.  "Sanwich" feels incomplete and gives me the feeling that my nose may be somewhat stuffed up.  Rachael Ray has solved this word puzzle for me by offering up the "sammie" alternative, and I am forever grateful.  "Sammie" has a fun feel to it.  Wouldn't you rather eat a "tuna sammie" than a "Tuna Fish SanDwich"?  Or how about some grilled cheese sammies with tomato soup?  Last time I ate out, I went to Chili's, where their menu now lists sandwiches as "Sammies", and I was so thrilled to see that it is becoming a rather commonly used term.  Still, I have referred to sammies on more than one occasion recently to be met with a blank stare and the brilliant query "Huh?"  So please, help me spread the word...Sammies rule!!!

2 comments:

Leanne said...

This was a beautiful blog - so well written and delightful to read. It really should appear in a magazine somewhere. :-)

Leanne said...

This was a beautiful blog - so well written and delightful to read. It really should appear in a magazine somewhere. :-)