What am I doing here? Don't ask me. I just thought 'hey, I wanna write on my blog'. I didn't have a topic in mind. Just sorta showed up and started typing.
I used to write a lot of nonsensical stuff when I was in high school. I would just start with a blank sheet of paper and a favorite pen and go. No path, no outline, no plan of any sort. And I loved it. I still have a few of the things I wrote back then, some written solo, others with friends. They are so much fun to read! I marvel at the way my mind turned and flowed and just kept going and going until it found a happy place to end whatever piece I was working on. Now what happened to that part of my brain?
Where does all the nonsense go? Lewis Carroll held on to his sense of whimsy. Beatrix Potter maintained hers. Mine may still be in there. As a matter of fact, I'm sure it is, because it tends to emerge when I'm at work, having insane conversations with my work buddies. Perhaps it takes a more vocal route these days. Of course, it's rather difficult to write nonsense when one hardly writes at all. That's probably the main culprit: my lack of sit-down-and-write time. Or more correctly phrased, my use of time for things other than writing. Were I spending more time with pen and paper, I'm sure a few ridiculous things would emerge. Quite possibly there are some bits of randomness in my journal. I'll have to look.
You've got to read Alice in Wonderland. Go ahead and read Through the Looking Glass, too, if you are so inclined, but Wonderland is the better of the two, at least in my opinion. I enjoyed it more. It was written as a lark, to entertain a few children, having begun as a moment of spontaneous storytelling. How many of us adults still try to make up stories? I know I haven't done that since my kids were very little.
Okay. I feel inspired to get out my imagination, dust it off, and see if I can get it working again.
No comments:
Post a Comment