I am re-reading The Chosen, a book by Chaim Potok that I read and loved when I was in high school. I am now less than a week away from my youngest child entering high school as a sophomore, so it's obvious that it's been a long time since I read this book. I am on page ---oops, I left the book in the basket near the tub upstairs, so I can't give you that piece of information. Suffice it to say that I am approaching the mid-point of the book. I am somewhat surprised and gratified to see that this book that I loved so much 24 years ago is a book that both requires and provokes thought. I am moved to re-read The Once and Future King (another that I loved as a teeager)as well. I find myself delighted to realize that not only was I the socially active, somewhat flighty, decidedly flirty, diverse gal that I remember being.......I was also a thinker!! And I still am!! In fact, I think I have progressed as a thinker, though I am certain never to plumb the depths of thought that individuals such as Leanne and Levi explore. Just as getting into literal bodies of water, I imagine, would make me more claustrophobic as the depth increases, diving into the deeper end of the thought pool does, in fact, make my brain feel thoroughly squished and smashed to the point that implosion seems imminent.
In my efforts to be well-read, I have in recent years read such works as:
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Emma
Persuasion
----and delving into the works of authors other than Jane Austen----
Vanity Fair
selected works of P.G. Wodehouse
The Crucible
The Screwtape Letters
and others that do not spring to mind presently.
There's a part of the classic movie Let's Make Love, when Yves Montand's character asks Marilyn Monroe's character what she is studying. Is it college? What? No, she says. She is going to night school, to get her high school diploma. When he asks why, she says, "I got tired of not knowing what people were referring to." That line inspires me every time I see that movie. I want to know from my own reading experiences, not just from my ability to guess rather intelligently, where others are coming from when they quote literature.
I have discovered, on this path to literacy, that there is no actual destination. It is a constant journey, and one that I am savoring!!!
4 comments:
I thought about the books I read and loved as a child and teenager and realized that the literature I read in my youth had a great deal to do with the character traits and values I came to care deeply about as I grew. Starting at a young age with the delicous word play and rhymes of DR Seuss (still love those things) and on into high school when I also read and loved The Chosen. It is really thought-provoking to list the novels, poems, etc that I loved and then to see what I gleaned from them in making me who I am today. Also makes me wonder what the current young generation will take into adulthood with them.
I have started on a similar goal but don't make much time to read still. I am trying to get better with it.
I read Les Miserables, have some Dickens books on the shelf waiting for me, and am now reading Outliers - the new book from Malcom Gladwell.
I will never match your number of Jane Austen books. I think I may never get past 0 with her...
Amen, and amen.
If you're looking for something else to read, may I recommend These Is My Words? Totally worth your time.
I still have never read The Chosen. At least I don't think I have...no, I'm quite certain I haven't. Maybe I should give it a whirl.
Oh! These is Our Words was on our reading list for our ward book club. I didn't read that one, but now I will have to read it. Also from our book club was "Two Old Women" (short and easy and very good, an Alaskan folk tale) and "Three Cups of Tea" (just reading this, so far very good, true story of an altruistic adventurer) Last year my book choice for the ward was not very popular so this year I went for something light and fun - I recommended "The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw" If you have never read Patrick McManus, I recommend his books for a good laugh - that story (about Goombaw) was hilarious. His stuff is best read out loud.
Post a Comment