I wanted to do something fun for myself today, so I stopped at a nail salon after work and got acrylic nails!!! They are very fun---I feel so girly. I keep thinking of things to try with these new nails, and one of the first things I wanted to attempt was typing. Turns out not to be too difficult, since I opted for the medium length rather than go any longer than that. Playing the piano may drive me nuts, but I don't get lots of chances to play these days, so I'm sure I'll survive that hardship, at least for now.
I was talking with somebody today about music, and she mentioned what she listens to when she is walking/jogging. I told her that when I walk, I don't listen to anything because I recite poetry to myself. This is how I keep track of how hard my heart is pumping and whether I need to step up the pace or slow it down or keep going steady. She responded by saying that whenever you do something new, whether it's reading a new poem or going to a new place or taking a new route somewhere...anything new...brand new neurons are created in your brain.
So did I grow new neurons when I stopped for new nails? Whaddya think?
7 comments:
I think anyone who recites poetry while they exercise was probably born with an abundance of neurons to begin with.
I think that I shall never see
A poem quite as smart as thee.
I've been thinking of getting a Halloween manicure. Now I learn it will make me smarter. I can hardly wait!
I think you are cool for reciting poetry instead of using an ipod or similar device. It sounds sophisticated.
Most of your neurons in your head are already there when you are born. In fact, there are more connections in an small child's head than in a normal adult's. The ones they don't use are "pruned" and go away.
Anyway, you probably made new associations between neurons or strengthened some pre-existing associations that you already had. Something like that.
Hi Janet!!!! That yellow raincoat is fabulous isn't it?! You won't believe where it came from though! Kris got it from the beat piler when he was working out there! Sorry I couldn't be of more help! P.S. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading your blog...you're such a talented writer! take care!
Yes, and I bet they are as beautiful as you!!!
We need a snap of those nails! Interesting comment about the neurons. Makes me want to stuff my children's brains so that their neurons aren't pruned so much.
Try picking up a credit card dropped flat on the floor. Or a coin. Or playing piano without clicking. How about scratching Myron's back? Nose Picking?
Post a Comment